Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sunday Thoughts: Forgiving, Forgetting, and God

So today was a very long day, but it was well worth it.

It started at 5:00 AM. I got up took a shower, ate breakfast, ironed out my clothes that I was going to wear to church, brushing my teeth, shaving, and getting out the door! By the time that was all over, it was around 7:00AM... But where did I go from there? To Church? Not quite! See, from last week's post, I said that my nephew would like to visit my church. So how could I say no to that? So I drove all the way up to Greensboro to get him. Then I went all the way back near the Containment Area to get my niece. Then we all attended church together. 

The message for this Sunday revolves around forgiveness. The forgiveness of sin and forgetting about the sin. This is very hard to do, because we are all human. I have not mastered the art of forgiving and forgetting, but I think I am far along than many others. In one of our readings, the Lord wipes out the sins and remembers them no more. The Lord remembers them no more because to the Lord, our God, there is no difference between forgiving and forgetting. From Mark's Gospel, there is a story about the paralytic carried by four men. And when Jesus saw the faith of the four, he said to the paralytic that his sins were forgiven and to pick up his mat, and go home. He got up and went home, in front of the Pharisees that accused him of blaspheming. 

We have all done it at some point in our lives. We have sinned, badly. And acts of sin was committed against us. Some worse than others. Some out of spite, some out of hate, some unintentionally. It is important that we forgive those who have wronged us, not for them, but for ourselves. I know right, easier said than done. It can be very hard to forgive, and even harder to forget what was done, especially if it was very painful. Especially at the hands of those you love. It is easy to misguide yourself into thinking that forgiveness always involves the other person. The road to a peaceful soul, starts with honing this ability. The Lord forgives and forgets. It is a concept that we should all try to master... It is a lifetime journey.

So enough of church! Afterwards, I took my niece and nephew to PF Changs and we had ourselves a nice lil lunch! Then I took them to see Madea Goes To Jail (Again for me!). They absolutely loved it! And I was able to catch some new stuff that I did not notice from the first time I saw the movie. Then it was time for me to take my nephew back to Greensboro so he can resume his studies. During the trip, I let them talk to my mother and father, as well as my sisters. I think they had a pleasant conversation and everyone is eager to meet. I will do my best to make that a reality. So once, I dropped my nephew off, my niece asked to see where I would like to live once I put down my down-payment, so I showed her, and then we went to the grocery store and got some foodstuffs. Then dropped her off with her friends.

It was a fantastic day!

T-minus three days until Lent! 

No comments:

Post a Comment