Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Thoughts: We Are Called!

The Road Is Rough,
And The Going Gets Tough,
And The Hills are hard to climb,
I started out, a long time ago,
There's no doubt in my mind;
I have decided, to make Jesus, my choice.

- Lyrics from "I Have Decided To Make Jesus My Choice"


So today at church, we learned that we are called by the Lord to do his will. When the Lord called out to Samuel, he thought that Eli was calling him. And after several 'callings' Eli realized that it was actually the Lord that was doing the calling. So he tells Samuel to say "Speak for your servant is listening" the next time the Lord spoke to him. And when he did, he grew.

As a Christian man, I realize that the Lord calls out to me all the time. Sometimes I hear and sometimes I do not. Sometimes when I hear, I choose to ignore. Sometimes, when I hear, I do the Lord's will. I am not a perfect man, and the only one I am aware of lived 2000 years before I was even thought of.

So I try hard to listen to the Lord, and usually he speaks to me at the oddest occasions, at the weirdest times, in the most unusual ways. Most of the time, it is not in the most obvious of places that I hear his message. Sometimes I hear it at church, sometimes I do not. Even when Elijah was told to go to the mountain and wait for the Lord, he heard the Lord's voice, in the whispering sounds, and not in the obvious: the wind, the earthquake, and the fire.

So I feel like I am called to share my gifts with others, and I have started doing that. I have a knack for photography, and my choir-mates have seen first hand some of my ability. I know a lot of math, and I have a lot of time, so I tutor and help kids. I know what it was like going through 7-12 grade struggling through math. But I have overcome those obstacles--I studied in a major that is extremely math-intensive. It is an edge I do not want to relinquish. The best way to maintain is to continually exercise. therefore, when I get new tutoring clients, I am keeping my skills fresh.

Socially (dating-wise), I have PLENTY of gifts and talents ;-) but I must be careful when it comes to sharing those gifts. 

The most precious and basic gift I give to every woman who walks into my life, is my time.

The most precious and basic gift a righteous woman can give me, is her time. 

Trust me, it is a GREAT gift and I will treasure it!

And speaking of time. I am getting better at sharing my gift of time with members of my own family. For instance, not only did I spend time with my nieces yesterday, but I offered (and they accepted) to come with me to church today. I feel that they really enjoyed what they observed: a sense of community, family, worship, prayer, singing. One of my nieces just loved it when the choir director used the "piano" sounds on the keyboard for one of the songs. I would love for them to join me every Sunday, but I will not force them. Having family around is a true blessing. Spending quality time with your relatives is time well spent.

I feel that I am called by the Lord to share my gift of time with others. So far I have given time to church, students, (deserving) women, and family that are local as well as abroad. I have a lot of time to share with others and still have more than enough for myself.

 I will always look for new ways to use it constructively.

Bedtime now. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment