Thursday, January 8, 2009

Choir beginnings, more from the bookstore, and my position on money.

I am at my favorite bookstore catching up on some much needed reading. Killing some time before choir practice before church. Some of my friends did not know I sing. And they would be right.

When I first relocated to the "Containment Area" the first thing I did was look for a church. I found my church home two days after moving from Ohio, attended the church, introduced myself, and listened to the word. Before getting my masters, I told Christ that if I survived USC I will get more involved with the church than the traditional Sunday morning gatherings. I saw myself as a reader, or an usher... During church, I knew all the songs the choir was singing and I was singing along with them from the pew.... Loudly and enthusiastically, without making an idiot of myself! Of course I knew NO ONE, but I have bold tendencies! So I took the risk.

and Besides... Fortune Favors The Bold!

After the second Sunday I was going to talk to the pastor about being an usher, when two members of the choir approached me and asked me to join. They said they saw me in the pew, literally singing with them and being very enthusiastic while doing it. So I agreed. When I got to choir practice I had NO idea what type of singer I was, so I was just sitting in any section, not really knowing where I am supposed to be... I NEVER SUNG IN A CHUCH CHOIR BEFORE!!! So finally, when I was trying to sing,  a choir member recognized my tone and told me that I am a tenor and that I need to be in the tenor section. 

Once I lined up with the Tenors, it was smooth sailing from there.  At the end of that practice, some of the choir members thought I have sung before, and they did not believe me when I said that this was my first time singing in a gospel choir. I sung in an elementary school choir in first grade, but that does not really count, since I was a much different person back then, and it was literally a "one grade" thing, it was not consistent, and we did not perform every week. 

However, my musical experience spans from playing the baritone horn during my elementary, middle, and high school years. The tenors in our choir sings notes out of the bass clef most of the time (baritone horn is a bass clef instrument) and I was able to match my tone to the notes based on my playing experience with my baritone. It was enough to hold my own with the other tenors. And on the songs where there were no notes, I am able to sing in harmony, and in tune (thats REAL important!) with the other tenors, alto's soprano's and bass. The rest is history! 

So while I'm waiting for 6:30 to roll around so I can go sing for God, I will be reading more finance books! Gotta get my money right! Now some of you might think the love of money is the root of all evil... I think thats true, but so is the corollary: the lack of money or the misuse of excessive money causes evil too! 

Money is a tool, you can use it for good, or for bad. If you know how to use it, it can work for you! If you don't know how to use this tool, it can work against you! In this life, you can work hard for your money, or you can make your money work hard for you. And since I am in my early career, with ambitious goals, one of them includes making my money work for me! More to come... Must stop blogging... Must start reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment