Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Lenten Saga: Day 5

Sunday Thoughts...

So today, I had to play substitute teacher for a 2nd/3rd grade class after church. It was interesting... Before church I was told that the two regulars (these two beautiful young Christ-centered women) could not make it, and since I have already had limited exposure to this class, I was somehow the perfect candidate for the job. Now how could I say no to the lady in charge?

So the message from the church today was that as we are going through our lenten journey, we need to reaffirm our faith in the Lord, hear him, and let him enter our hearts. When we do this, we, well, grow. So that was one of the things I wanted to teach this class for the day. So instead of using the orange books, I challenged them to a word puzzle based off four words: God, Repent, Lord, and Word. I aligned it in such a way that when placed in a certain order, you see the word "GROW." The kids really had fun solving this puzzle. The activity for the day was the one where we were going to plant our seeds. So they had cups, dirt, seed, popsicle sticks, and instructions. 

The class for the most part was cooperative, except for 2 students, who were dismissed after repeated offenses; not showing courtesy or respect to the instructor or to fellow students. One of the two students that were dismissed, after repeated requests to stop playing around, spilled dirt on their clothes, chair, and floor. After they were excused, class resumed, and students were very courteous, and respectful. We learned about how to sow seeds and how to take care of our plants, and how to GROW in Christ.

Unfortunately, we did not get to the book lesson, but I hope that does not dampen the regular teacher's instruction plans. Overall, it was a fun experience. You learn patience, quickly. I found that being polite but firm was very effective for all but 2 of the students. And they like engaging in interactive activities. I would instruct again if given the opportunity. 

The lenten journey continues! I have not faltered... Lets see what Day 6 brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment