Thursday, January 15, 2009

Operation "Go As Planned..."

Did not fare so well. You see, I thought that if I took Jade early into her surgery (7:00AM) I would be out by 9-9:30 AM and still be able to have a decent work day. Well, well there was a lot of rust, an unfortunate side effect of originally hailing from the North, and by the time they scraped all the iron oxide out, it was literally lunch time. Now normally, I would have eaten lunch, but today I sung with the choir at a funeral (which usually occupies my 1 hr lunch window)... Now this was at 11:30AM...... By 1:50PM I arrived at work, and just told my manager that I was taking the day off. I was sooooo pissed because I did not get any work done, plus I was tired, and since I did not have breakfast or lunch, hungry. 

I have no one else to blame but myself. I made a serious error in (time) judgment. When the guy told me that my car's alignment would not take any more than 2 hours, I should have just taken the shuttle back to work instead of waiting like an eddy right then and there. To me, I came in at 7, and 7+2=9, therefore I would have left around 9, and got in like around 9:15-ish. It would have still been a very salvageable work day. I did not take into account the intangibles... How was I supposed to know that Jade was going to get that rusty as a result of Northern exposure? Once 2 hrs became 3.... then became 4.... I just kept getting more and more restless and upset. 

So I guess I learned some major lessons today:

#1. Things do not "Go As Planned" hence the name of the blog subject.
#2. Bring some snacks/rations/MRE's(Meals Ready to Eat), something to fill your stomach up if you ever decide to wait during service.
#3. If you are doing anything else to your car besides an oil change, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEIR SHUTTLE SERVICE! Leave immediately so you can have a productive day at work!
#4. If you are too overwhelmed to work for that day, get out of that environment. I know my limits, and I am confident that taking a vacation day today was definitely the right thing to do. 

Besides, how often does getting an alignment and new tires for Jade, singing at a funeral, and waiting waaaaay longer to get your car actually happen in the course of one's life? I sincerely hope that this is one of the more rare sequence of events to happen in my days. I would not know what to do if this ever becomes common. 

Tonight, I have to replenish my vitamin supplies (I will blog about this another time), then go back to church for choir practice, and then, salsa dancing! In the midst of all this craziness, I have to do something to keep myself sane. Salsa is it! I have no idea how I am going to wake up at 5 AM tomorrow! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment