Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunday Thoughts: Lord, if you will it!!!

So today's readings in church revolved around the lepers and how they were cast out because they were unclean. Basically they were treated unfairly. There is a story in the old testament as well as one in the new (it is the one where Jesus heals the leper and he tells him NOT to let anyone know he cured him..... like the leper was REALLY going to keep that information secret!)

Have you ever felt like an outcast because of something as trivial as, a strange mark on your body? the color of your skin? your hair (or lack thereof)? What about what you believe? If you believe one thing and you are surrounded by people who believe another, and they make you feel bad for believing what you believe? This happens everywhere!

I remember being told by a professor I once respected that the chance "schools like USC" will accept me into their graduate program are "slim to none" and that the only reason why I would get accepted "anywhere" was because "I was a minority." and even if I do get in, "the chances of me getting out with my masters was nonexistent."

But the leper said to the Lord that "if you wish, you can make me clean." and the Lord did that. Our pastor then went on to challenge us to say to Jesus, "If you will it you can (fill in the blank)." It was interesting because during the grad school application process, I actually did say those words:

"Lord, if you will it, I can graduate from USC with a Masters in Electrical Engineering."

2 Years Later, I got my diploma! I am really learning a lot from my church pastor. He has a very unique way of tying in all the readings, the songs the choir sings, with the message that we need to to carry us through the week. 

I also went up to Greensboro to spend a little time with my nephew. He is a rising student at North Carolina A&T State University. I treated him and his girlfriend out to dinner for his birthday and gave him some uncle-nephew advice. I like spending time with my nieces and nephews. I wish I could do it more often. He also asked me about attending church next weekend. How could I say no to that? So it looks like the church community will get to know another member of my family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment