Saturday, February 7, 2009

Double Duty Part 1

Well, since Thursday's long work day led me to absolutely crash and pass out on Friday, I'm going to have to do a double entry to make up for me sleeping through my blog hour from yesterday.

With that being said, this was kind of a normal week. I realize that as a young man, sometimes I do not look before I leap. The biggest thing on my mind throughout the week rests with an initiative I tried to show to the choir. I had my niece video-record one of our songs for a couple of reasons:

1. To see how well my camera (it is a (semi-pro) still camera with recording capabilities) can record from her vantage point. 

2. To actually get a shot of the choir in action....... With ME in it. All throughout last year, I took pictures and video snippets of the choir, and although I was a part of the choir, since I was on the other side of the camera, no one could really see me in action... Hey, I want to smile and show my involvement too! :-D I took the best pictures and video snapshots and created a nice little dvd for the choir members. 

When I viewed the video, the light from the window behind the choir blinded many people... Yankee included! So most likely, I will not be able to use the video portion for anything, unless I use some special effects and just use the video(no audio) only for whatever... The audio, however was a different story. Personally, I thought it was great! 

Then I thought of something the choir director asked us to do weeks ago: come up with ideas to promote the choir concert this spring. I thought to myself, "hey yankee, you are good with camera's photography, promotion, and you have a little web savvy, lets see what will happen if I upload this to youtube, email the choir, and get their thoughts... Maybe we can use this as a way to get our event out there..." Me and my young thinking :-D So I did just that...

I was so amazed by the overall mode-of-thought from the young people.... to the younger. (hehe see how I was very careful in my choice of words :-D). 

To the young people, I should have asked for permission from the choir. It was possible that what I uploaded could have been copyrighted, and if it ever got traced, there could be legal issues. To make light of the situation, the choir gave feedback of their performance. Very humorous, there were a lot of laughs, and I am pretty sure that they knew that I did not mean any harm by posting this on the internet.

FYI: I did take the video down. I try to do what is right, and even though I got plusses and minuses from all sides, taking this video down solved more problems than it created.

The young people of course are correct. In my attempt to present this idea, their view did not cross my mind. Proof, that even though I try to think a lot of things through, I make mistakes also. 

The younger people however, saw something completely different!!! We did not think about the possible legal implications... at all! We saw it, we were amazed by it... The prayer group used it as an opening song to start our study. People emailed the yankee and (positively) commented the video on Facebook. One of my peers even teased me saying that "you must be the brightest one in the front..." It stimulated enough interest to create a buzz for my generation/age group.

Nonetheless, I learned a lot that night. In addition to all the above, I learned that I can take my lumps, and take them like man! LOL! Guess I am back to the drawing board for helping the choir out in this particular area/initiative. All I can do is try!

Later on, I will talk about this Med-School Prom thing that one of my church friends has invited me to! This should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment