Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter Vigil

So tonight I attended the Easter Vigil mass at my church. I had a solo, called the Exsultet. It is a (very) long proclamation about the Lord ascension into heaven and it is sung A-Capella. I was very humbled by the many positive responses I received from the choir and the congregation. I heard that it is not an easy piece of music to sing, and with the choir director silent on the ivories, it made it all the more challenging. I feel that I prepared for it well... Ever since I was told that I was going to do the Exsultet, before Ash Wednesday, I practiced ever since. Practiced during Lent, and every day of Holy Week. I did not want to disappoint the director, the choir, and the members of the church... But especially the director and the choir. Even though I sing with them I feel so moved by the others, especially those called to do solos. It is not easy for any of them, they sing so beautifully. The Exsultet was the least I could do to show them and everyone I have met in church, from the elders to the young adults my appreciation and thanks.

When I sung it, I felt like everyone sung it with me. The pastor, the choir, the people in the pews. God was definitely with me tonight, as God always is... But tonight he made sure I knew that God was with me... I did not miss a single note!

I do plan on finishing off this Holy Week by going to church tomorrow to celebrate Easter. But after Easter, the daily masses cease, I return to my normal pre-Ash Wednesday daily regimen, which definitely includes an earlier work time.

Also, and folks knew that this was a LONG TIME COMING........... The facial hair is gone. And people will start seeing me without my glasses more often. Get used to it, because the new me is here to stay for awhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment